Wikipedia

Search results

Saturday, February 8, 2014

MUSIC: Cause and Effect (relation to the Psyche)







A friend and I were having a discussion the other day in reference to different genres of music and the effects it can have on the way we live our lives. We broached the topic of how music can affect our attitudes. The conclusion reached is that, regardless of what genre, it can dramatically affect the way we act. I'm willing to take this a step further by entertaining the idea that not only does MUSIC affect our actions, but I believe that it can have a direct connection to the spiritual health of our "psyche," whether that be favorable or adverse in consequence.

According to Google the word psyche is defined as the human soul, mind, or spirit.

Music is a powerful medium. It is used at parties to create a more lively event, weddings to set the tone for the ceremony, funerals to memorialize the deceased, and it is even utilized in elevators as a means to occupy the person or people getting from one place to the other in a building. Music can also be used as a form of torture. Canadian electro-industrial band, Skinny Puppy, has invoiced the US government for $666,000, after its music was used at the Guantanamo Bay prison facility as an instrument of torture. http://rt.com/news/skinny-puppy-torture-music-032/.
Scary, huh? No offense to fans of Skinny Puppy or that genre of music, but it kind of says a lot if the music you produce is used as a means of torture, just saying!

I can personally equate my actions, attitude, and overall demeanor to the type of music I listened to as I reflect back on a period of my life that was exciting, but at the same time, very dark. I was a police officer for a number of years, and during this time I found myself listening to some extremely aggressive music. My wife called this "hateful music." Don't tell her, but I agree. I didn't care though because listening to this gave me a feeling of power, and elevated my level of intensity. This came in handy in some situations I found myself in when I was a cop, but the more I listened to this type of music the harder it became to "be normal." This means that wherever I was, whatever I was doing, and whoever I was with, I still maintained this "hateful" persona. What started out just affecting my attitude, and sometimes actions at work, began to bleed into every aspect of my life. This had an adverse effect at home. It changed my outlook on life in general. I was depressed, I thought
the worst of people, and there was not a lot of positivity flowing from me.

Let's take a look at the three words used to define "psyche."

The human soul is defined as the spirit or immaterial part of man, the seat of human personality, intellect, will, and emotions, regarded as an entity that survives the body after death the spirit or immaterial part of man, the seat of human personality, intellect, will, and emotions, regarded as an entity that survives the body after death

The mind is the human consciousness that originates in the brain and is manifested especially in thought, perception, emotion, will, memory, and imagination. The human consciousness that originates in the brain and is manifested especially in thought, perception, emotion, will, memory, and imagination.

The spirit is the vital principle or animating force within living beings. The part of a human associated with the mind, will, and feelings.

Man is a triune being because he is created in the image of God. “God said, Let us make man in Our image” (Genesis 1:26). We know that God is a Trinity.

I believe what the bible says, and as in the scripture above, I believe that we are created in His image. Music is a very powerful platform because it plays off of human emotions. Though it may not control your actions and attitude, it definitely has an effect on things we do and how we feel.

Garbage in, Garbage out.    The things we put into ourselves equates to what we put out. Be careful to what we listen to because the Devil works in many ways, and music is a powerful forum.








No comments:

Post a Comment