Wikipedia

Search results

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Judgement Free Zone...Drawing In Not Pushing Out



My local gym uses a catch phrase "Judgement Free Zone" to attract a customer base that would like to get in better shape, but does not like the environment normally found in other gyms and athletic clubs. I have been a member of approximately four organized gyms or recreation centers in the past. There is a certain uniqueness that can be found in most of these clubs. I joined my first gym with the intent of getting into better shape after letting myself go for a number of years, and of course to "bulk up" because as a man, who wouldn't enjoy having the physique of Arnold Schwarzenegger or Ronnie Coleman (c'mon lets get back to reality)? I remember entering the facility and feeling well, insignificant. I didn't know much about the equipment. I was confused on really even where to begin. The people in the gym were definitely in better shape than I was, so needless to say I was not feeling very motivated. I felt out of place, and the sounds coming from some of the members who did have a physique approaching the likeness of a Roman God or Goddess, was almost enough to make me do a 180 and leave out the door never to return for fear of being chained to the weight bench and forced to days of hard labor in order to gain acceptance into this elite organization. I'm sure there are those out there that feel the same way when we judge them by the way they look, clothes they wear, how many piercings they have, or who they have as a companion. As Christians, trying to lead sinners to Christ to receive salvation, it is not our place to pass judgement upon others. After all, if our true purpose is to save souls, we can't go around condemning folks and hope to teach them about God's saving Grace.

I have to admit there have been times in the past where I have judged people simply on the basis of trivial things such as those mentioned before. Friendships have been lost, hearts broken, people hurt, and ultimately some of the trials in my life have came as a direct result of rash judgement of others that I made. I am not implying that we should not judge. The bible tells us in John 7:24  "Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgement." I feel it is our job to lead people to the doors of a church where they can receive love, teaching, and fellowship with strong Christian brothers and sisters. They can receive the teaching of the Word that will help them to identify the err of their ways.


We as Christians have squandered away so many valuable opportunities by condemning instead of blessing. Even though we might not express our dislike of a person by voicing our opinion of them; they certainly have picked up on the mannerisms we tend to display when they're around. Actions do speak louder than words. Generally, the human race is very adept in the art of observation. If you don't believe me, try rolling your eyes at your wife or husband. You'll find out soon enough just how observant they are of your action. I see this type of snubbing every day in the secular world, as I'm sure you do also. You sort of expect this in the world in which we live, everyday life, but as born again children of God we tend to over-dramatize these same actions when we cross paths with people we believe to be non-Christians. I really don't understand why we do this, because at one point in most of our lives, we were all in search of Jesus. I remember those times when people from different churches I have attended turned their noses up to the sky in my presence. I felt many emotions, and none of them were positive. I personally felt mislead, deeply hurt, and ashamed for who I was at that particular point in my life. I felt mislead because I had come to church to find Christ, not to feel out of place. Hurt, and deeply hurt, because I was raised to believe that church was supposed to provide sanctuary; a place to receive the Grace of Our Heavenly Father. Last, but certainly not least, I felt out of place similar to the way I felt upon entering the gym for the first time, but even worse. Because, it gave me a feeling that I was not wanted there. And if God's children did not see me as worthy to attend their House of Worship, then God must not see any worth in me either. These are personal feelings I've experienced in the past, but have since overcome thanks to my Father.


In the world in which we live, people do not need condemnation. Day to day living can dole out plenty of punishment by itself. I am certainly not implying that we put blinders on to avoid the truths that sins in people do exist. The Devil is working hard to keep mankind in sin. We need to be working harder, but by believing in people, not by acting as if there are numerous requirements set in place to be part of "Our Club." Everyone is welcome as long as you repent of your sins, and ask Jesus into your heart. Our job, as Christians, is to help folks understand that there is forgiveness. Tell them the Good News of God, and lead them to a place where they feel wanted, loved, and forgiven. If people are ever going to change the path of their lives, they are going to need a reason. If we judge and condemn them for who they are and what they have done, then they see no difference in us than they do in the world.


Act differently than the rest of the world and draw sinners to Christ
Be the same, or harsher, than the world and sinners are lost


The Church, as a whole, needs to be a light in the darkness, provide a place of safety during the storm, and be a place to experience the Grace of God by drawing people in, not pushing them out.


No comments:

Post a Comment