Wikipedia

Search results

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chasing stability

While deep in thought and reflecting on past mistakes and accomplishments, I begin to see the many attempts that I have made to attain stability in my life. I believe we all have that same goal at some point. It always seems to be that whatever we gain it is never enough. We are always searching for the next big thing. No matter how hard we try, though, it seems our best is never enough. The light at the end of the tunnel is always seen, but it can only be viewed from a distance. I sometimes feel like the horse pulling the wagon; the driver has dangled a carrot in front of me to keep me going, but I will never reach nor savor the taste of that carrot. Things in this life are constantly changing. It is hard, and some would think, impossible to ever be stable in anything. I guess that's why I sometimes feel like the hamster in the wheel, always going but going nowhere.

I have found  the one CONSTANT we can all depend on is the love of our Father in Heaven. That for certain in never changing. The bible tells us in Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

I have heard the term "God-shaped hole" many times before, and now I believe I am closer to understanding the true meaning of this;

We try to fill our lives with all of the worldly things that is traditionally accepted to be a measurement of our stability. We spin that little circular wheel round and round hoping that in the next revolution we will gain the boss's favor and get that promotion that we've so long for to be more stable in our careers. That carrot in front of us that has been dangling; tempting us and controlling our lives will surely taste like a steak with the pay raise we just got by spending the first half of our adult life struggling so hard to get.

All of these things are great my friends only if, we have attained SPIRITUAL STABILITY. We can have all the money in the world, we can have the best job that a person could ask for, the fastest car, the best wife, the biggest house; but unless we have given our lives, finances, time, and all that we have to the service of Our Lord all we gain will be for naught. Our eternity is not here on this earth, but it lies in Heaven.

Do all we can to make our time here meaningful. The term "God-shaped hole" that was mentioned before has that particular terminology because God is the only thing that will fit.

"IN A WORLD THAT IS EVER CHANGING THE ONLY HOPE FOR STABILITY IS THROUGH GOD'S LOVE; CONSTANT AND NEVER CHANGING."           -Robert Archibald 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment